Sunday 4 May 2014

Burger & Lobster


Due to today’s general lifestyle, it’s fair to say that the majority of us are all “GO GO GO!”, rarely stopping to take a breather. So when it is time to sit back and relax, the location is paramount.  I can’t think of a better place to catch up with good friends than Burger & Lobster…so that’s exactly what I did!
The concept is pretty simple. They serve burgers and lobster (surprise surprise!) all for the bargain price of £20. The burgers can only be described as MASSIVE whilst the lobster option can be either in the form of a 2lb grilled/steamed lobster in the shell or, for those of you who don’t want to get your fingers messy (although in my opinion, that’s part of the fun) they serve a lobster roll. All topped off with a decent side salad, fries and the most amazing lemon and garlic/plain butter dipping sauce. What’s not to love?!
Simple, yet effective! 
The tricky part is actually getting in. Reservations are available for up to 8 people, although this is limited to a certain number of bookings per day. Basically, the majority of people end up turning up at the door with their fingers crossed. It’s not all bad though…. The restaurant bar has enough options to keep you entertained for a while and, as long as you’re willing to wait, you will certainly get a table.

The branch we dined at was the City location on Bread Street. I’ve tended to go here more because it’s convenient from work but I’d also worry that the wait time at some of the other locations, such as Soho, would be ridiculous. When I want lobster, I want it now! The interior is designed to give you the feel of being inside an old ship, with dark wood panelling, exposed cables, and old lobster traps hanging from the ceiling. In my opinion it’s a perfect date location. It’s fun, atmospheric, relaxed, but also a little bit special. I admit, I went there on girl-date and, as beautiful as she is, I wasn’t exactly looking at it from an intimate perspective but, ya know, the premise is there.

Now, here’s the best bit. THE FOOD! The offer of having the menu explained to you is there but, for me, it’s a quick “2lb grilled lobster with loads of garlic butter please”….no questions asked, thank you very much. Don’t get me wrong, the burger looks good too but let’s be honest, you can get a good burger anywhere. Accompanied by a glass of wine or a mojito, the lobster wins for me hands down. You even get to fashion a very attractive bib…who would say no to that?!
If you have a larger appetite, you'll need to dig deeper into your pockets

For me, the meal is perfect but if I had to be super critical, I would say it is not the most ideal option if a) you’re ridiculously hungry and want to eat quickly and b) you have a large appetite. The lobster is pretty fiddly. You get all the tools you need but it is time-consuming to say the least. The fries are a necessity as well as, personally, the standard size lobster and salad isn’t the most filling meal. If you’ve got eyes bigger than your stomach (like me), you can browse the chalk board for the daily catch of different sizes and prices. However, as much as I love lobster, I am not willing to pay £162 for it!
For the first time, we ordered a dessert. I’m not usually a dessert person but was intrigued to see what they had to offer. Turns out - not much. The choice was either an Eton mess or a salted caramel cheesecake, both served lovingly in a cardboard cup and a teaspoon. Tasty, yes, but not something I’d feel the need to have again. Having said this, Burger & Lobster doesn’t try to pride themselves on their desserts. For anyone going there specifically for the dessert then, it’s safe to say, the concept has been lost on you!

Sickly sweet

Overall, my love affair with Burger & Lobster continues to grow. It’s quirky, a bit different, inexpensive and, most importantly, DELICIOUS! It’s a thumbs up from me.

Nic
 x

 

No comments:

Post a Comment